Monday 28 June 2010

And That's It For England

I'm not particularly into football myself, I'm far more into playing a sport than watching someone else play it. Unluckily for me I have a boyfriend who is football crazy and I was made to watch the game last night. I'll be honest, I wasn't absolutely bored stiff but I was shocked to see in the news today how upset people were that England are now out of the world cup.
My mum was six years old when we last won the world cup... she now has an 18-year-old daughter (and I'm the youngest) what does that say about our chances?
There are so many arguments as to why the world cup is a good thing. Many people say that it brings the nation together but I don't think it does. If anything it just divides the world further.
Someone in BBC news today said that they were surprised there wasn't an outbreak and that England fans didn't start fights with the Germans. Why should that come as a surprise? Surely people shouldn't want to hurt someone else other something as insignificant in life as a football game.
Other people in this particular article spoke about how they had spend thousands of pounds over the years following the England team play. Two different views come to me about this (1) How can they possibly afford to do that? and (2) If they can afford to do that then why not use the money on something that will have a positive impact on someone else's life (i.e. donate it to a charity)?
Ultimately, football is a game. It's there for enjoyment and although it would be nice for the team to say they won the world cup, what significance does it have in our individual lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment